This weekend, I’ll be attending Evolve in Antigonish, NS. This will be my third time attending the event, so I am by no means a veteran or expert, but I do like to take the time to be prepared to ensure I have the best weekend of my summer!
Evolve takes place on a 20 hectare field that will be filled by 150 musical acts, 2,400 tents, 25 vendors and 50 porta-potties! Those who have never attended Evolve are quick to describe it as an electronic music festival, or “a bunch of hippies in a field” but these descriptions are quite narrow considering the variety of music and people you’ll encounter.
Now. What to bring? Be minimal, yet functional. Comfortable, yet expressive.
- TENT. You need a tent (unless you have an awesome hammock or something).
- Sleeping pad, sleeping bag. I don’t bother with a pillow, I’ll roll up some clothes or something.
- Light source. Be it a small flashlight, a camp lantern, whatever, you just wanna be able to see at night
- Water! Make sure you have a water bottle that you’re comfortable carrying around, too. The power of hydration cannot be underestimated in this kind of setting, especially if you’re like me and will have a box of wine in tow. It also looks like it’s gonna be hot and dry so plan accordingly.
- Food. Now, there are tons of awesome vendors at Evolve. You can find greasy burgers, but there are also plenty of options for vegetarians, vegans etc. Things aren’t tooooo pricey, but a lot of it is great quality, local food, which does require you to pay a bit more for what you’re getting. I like to bring a big bag of mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit, bananas, apples, oranges, crackers, carrots and cucumber for snacking. For me, the key is alkaline foods. I mean, alkaline foods are always the key to feeling great, but are especially important when you’ll be partying and wanting to recover quickly.
- First aid kit: bug dope, sunscreen, various sized band-aids, gauze, tape, polysporin, tweezers, fingernail clippers, alcohol pads, tylenol and gravol.
- Toiletries pack: towel, two face cloths, baking soda (for washing hair, teeth, face), apple cider vinegar (for rinsing hair, face – diluted!!!), hair elastics, clips, comb, SPF lip balm, toilet paper, deodorant (if you like to smell fresh), make-up, body paint etc.
- Funky clothing, jewelry and other accessories. Dress as funky and freaky as you possibly can without feeling uncomfortable. It’s also cool to have a signature piece if you’d like to be known all weekend as “the guy with the yarn beard” (a guy a work told me this was him last year) or “the gal with six arms.” No one at Evolve is going to make you feel bad about yourself or judge you. Be what you want.
Yesterday when the full schedule came out I printed it off and was going to go through and highlight every act that I didn’t want to miss. However, after reading this blog post I began to consider how much of a recipe for disappointment it is to plan where you are going to be at every moment. I noted a couple acts that I don’t want to miss, other than that, I’m going to embrace the fun in discovering new music, in floating around the site and just going with the flow!
Other than that, bring yourself along with loads of positivity and energy. Positive energy. Happy Evolve.